Upcoming DOCshop Workshops
3-Day DOCshop - May 27th-29th, 2017 (Ft. Worth, Texas)
3-Day DOCshop - May 27th-29th, 2017 (Ft. Worth, Texas)
Our most popular workshop covers the technical aspects of documentary production with an emphasis on storytelling, to create compelling content that will entertain, educate and inspire. Although the material covered in the workshop is valuable for any level of extertise, this workshop is designed for participants with at least a basic knowledge of camera and editing techniques.
This workshop offers three intense days of documentary immersion. Day one is a mixture of lecture, show-&-tell and demonstrations. Day two and three are entirely hands-on, location shooting and editing.
Early Bird - save $100 when you register at least 45 days before this workshop. (use code "may100" during checkout)
Special - or save $50 when you register at least 14 days before this workshop. (use code "may50" during checkout)
SAVE EVEN MORE! - Get a friend to take the workshop with you and we'll refund each of you $50. Get two or more friends to take the workshop with you and we'll refund you each $100. Your friend(s) must be in the same workshop class as you. You must contact us via email at least 48hrs before the workshop to let us know that you qualify for this discount. NO EXCEPTIONS. The refund will be credited to your CC during the workshop.
This intense workshop covers how to conceive, plan, shoot and edit a documentary as a one-person crew. The workshop covers a wide range of documentary filmmaking skills with an emphasis on the technical aspects of creative and effective storytelling in documentary.
During the workshop, each participant will shoot and edit an interview driven documentary short from start to finish. Interview and cinema vérité driven documentaries are typically the most challenging to sculpt into an effective documentary story. This workshop will show you techniques and methodologies to quickly distill an engaging story from your acquired footage.
Saturday (10.5 hrs)
DAY ONE consists of two documentary workshop sessions covering the history, aesthetics, techniques, tools and processes of documentary filmmaking. Day one covers documentaries from pre-production to post production and distribution. In addition to extensive discussion of gear and techniques, the workshop also covers the process of interviews and documentary storytelling.
- 9:00am - 12:00pm - Introduction/History/Aesthetics/Capturing the Story/Paperwork
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm - Lunch Break (lunch is provided)
- 1:00pm - 4:00pm - Production/Camera/Sound/Lighting/Technique
- 4:00pm - 4:30pm - Afternoon Break (snacks are provided)
- 4:30pm - 7:30pm - Post-Production/Editing/Storyboarding/Music/Sweetening
Sunday (10 hrs)
DAY TWO is an intense hands-on production workshop in which participants will each create their own documentary short. Participants will get feedback and tips during the shooting. Participants will apply the filming methods covered in DAY ONE and have the opportunity to work in groups or individually.
- 8:00am - 12:00pm - On location filming (in groups with instruction)
- 12:00pm -12:30pm - Lunch Break
- 12:30pm - 4:30pm - Additional filming
- 5:00pm - 6:00pm - Meet at workshop to prepare footage for editing
Monday (10 hrs)
DAY THREE is an intense hands-on post-production workshop where participants will each create their own documentary short. Participants will get feedback and tips during the editing phase of the workshop. At the end of the day all films will be screened together for critique and comments.
- 8:00am - 12:00pm - Chopping, Paper Edits and Sorting
- 12:00pm -12:30pm - Lunch Break (lunch is provided)
- 12:30pm - 5:30pm - Radio Edits, Rough Cuts, Picture Lock, Color Correcting, Sweetening
- 5:30pm - 6:00pm - Screening and feedback (open to friends and family)
In addition to creating a documentary short, this workshop will include:
- A brief history of documentary film and how the art form has evolved
- Documentary aesthetics and planned serendipity
- Editing in pre-production
- Planning and coordinating
- Pre-production, permits, releases, fair-use
- Production scheduling
- Distribution options and alternate funding sources
- Choosing the best production gear
- How to shoot a documentary by yourself (if necessary)
- Shooting in diverse environments
- The essential camera kit
- The essential sound kit
- The essential light kit
- Alternative camera options
- Editing with the camera - building a catalog of footage and scenes
- What we’ve learned after conduction over 600 on-camera interviews
- How to ask the right questions and listen for the right answers
- Choosing the best editing system for documentary
- Organizing your footage
- Finding the story in your footage
- Creating the paper edit on paper
- Creating a paper edit using digital shortcuts
- Cutting the radio edits and pacing
- Building the rough cuts
- Tweaking the final cut
- Color correction
- Effective use of music in documentary
- Finishing and output
Participants will leave this workshop having produced and completed documentary film! Participants are required to bring their own camera and editing gear, or rent them through the workshop. FCPX is the preferred editing program for this workshop.Class size is limited to eight participants.
Refund & Responsibility Policies
Full refunds are available up to 30 calendar days prior to the workshop starting date. 50% refunds are available up to 7 calendar days prior to the workshop starting date. There are no refunds within 7 calendar days prior to the workshop starting date but credit can be applied to another workshop.
DOCshops and Brazos Film and Video LLC will not assume responsibility or liability for any loss or damage of personal effects or for any injury or loss during your program. DOCshops and Brazos Film and Video LLC are not liable for any loss, damage, or injury caused by war, weather, sickness, government restrictions or regulations or any other causes over which we have no control. DOCshops and Brazos Film and Video LLC recommend that each participant carry personal travel insurance to cover the cost of any unforeseen emergency, damage to or loss of baggage, cancellation or sickness. If a participant becomes ill or incapacitated, DOCshops and Brazos Film and Video LLC may take whatever action it deems necessary to preserve his health/safety, including medical treatments, hospital transfers at the participant's expense.
By paying for and/or by attending this workshop, participants agree to these non-negotiable terms.