Upcoming DOCshop Workshops
Our private workshops provide participants with one, two or three intense days of one-on-one instruction.
The workshop will cover the technical aspects of documentary production with an emphasis on storytelling to create compelling content with the footage acquired.
This intense workshop is completely customizable to fit your specific needs. The workshop covers a wide range of documentary filmmaking skills with an emphasis on the technical aspects of creative and effective storytelling in documentary. Workshop dates will be coordinated depending on available dates. Workshops are held at Brazos Film & Video in Fort Worth, Texas. Workshops can be held in other locations with added travel cost.
Each workshop is customized to fit your specific needs.
Below is an example of a custom 3-Day Private DOCshop.
During the workshop, you will shoot and edit an interview driven documentary short from start to finish. Interview and cinema vérité driven documentaries are typically the most challenging to sculpt into an effective documentary story. This workshop will show you techniques and methodologies to quickly distill an engaging story from your acquired footage.
Friday (10.5 hrs)
DAY ONE consists of two documentary workshop sessions covering the history, aesthetics, techniques, tools and processes of documentary filmmaking. Day one covers documentaries from pre-production to post production and distribution. In addition to extensive discussion of gear and techniques, the workshop also covers the process of interviews and documentary storytelling.
- 9:00am - 12:00pm - Introduction/History/Aesthetics/Capturing the Story/Paperwork
- 12:00pm - 1:00pm - Lunch Break (lunch is provided)
- 1:00pm - 4:00pm - Production/Camera/Sound/Lighting/Technique
- 4:00pm - 4:30pm - Afternoon Break (snacks are provided)
- 4:30pm - 7:30pm - Post-Production/Editing/Storyboarding/Music/Sweetening
Saturday (10 hrs)
DAY TWO is an intense hands-on production workshop where participants will each create their own one, two or three minute documentary. Participants will get feedback and tips during the shooting. Participants will apply the filming methods covered in DAY ONE and have the opportunity to work in groups or individually.
- 8:00am - 12:00pm - On location filming (in groups with instruction)
- 12:00pm -12:30pm - Lunch Break
- 12:30pm - 4:30pm - Additional filming
- 5:00pm - 6:00pm - Meet at workshop to prepare footage for editing
Sunday (10 hrs)
DAY THREE is an intense hands-on post-production workshop where participants will each create their own one, two or three minute documentary. Participants will get feedback and tips during the editing phase of the workshop. At the end of the day all films will be screened together for critique and comments.
- 8:00am - 12:00pm - Chopping, Paper Edits and Sorting
- 12:00pm -12:30pm - Lunch Break (lunch is provided)
- 12:30pm - 5:30pm - Radio Edits, Rough Cuts, Picture Lock, Color Correcting, Sweetening
- 5:30pm - 6:00pm - Screening and feedback (open to friends and family)
In addition to creating a documentary short, this workshop will include:
- A brief history of documentary film and how the art form has evolved
- Documentary aesthetics and planned serendipity
- Editing in pre-production
- Planning and coordinating
- Pre-production, permits, releases, fair-use
- Production scheduling
- Distribution options and alternate funding sources
- Choosing the best production gear
- How to shoot a documentary by yourself (if necessary)
- Shooting in diverse environments
- The essential camera kit
- The essential sound kit
- The essential light kit
- Alternative camera options
- Editing with the camera - building a catalog of footage and scenes
- What we’ve learned after conduction over 600 on-camera interviews
- How to ask the right questions and listen for the right answers
- Choosing the best editing system for documentary
- Organizing your footage
- Finding the story in your footage
- Creating the paper edit on paper
- Creating a paper edit using digital shortcuts
- Cutting the radio edits and pacing
- Building the rough cuts
- Tweaking the final cut
- Color correction
- Effective use of music in documentary
- Finishing and output
You will leave this workshop having produced and completed documentary film! You are required to bring your own camera and editing gear, or rent them through the workshop. FCPX is the preferred editing program for this workshop.Class size is limited to one participant.
Refund & Responsibility Policies
Full refunds are available up to 30 calendar days prior to the workshop starting date. 50% refunds are available up to 7 calendar days prior to the workshop starting date. There are no refunds within 7 calendar days prior to the workshop starting date but credit can be applied to another workshop.
DOCshops and Brazos Film and Video LLC will not assume responsibility or liability for any loss or damage of personal effects or for any injury or loss during your program. DOCshops and Brazos Film and Video LLC are not liable for any loss, damage, or injury caused by war, weather, sickness, government restrictions or regulations or any other causes over which we have no control. DOCshops and Brazos Film and Video LLC recommend that each participant carry personal travel insurance to cover the cost of any unforeseen emergency, damage to or loss of baggage, cancellation or sickness. If a participant becomes ill or incapacitated, DOCshops and Brazos Film and Video LLC may take whatever action it deems necessary to preserve his health/safety, including medical treatments, hospital transfers at the participant's expense.
By paying for and/or by attending this workshop, participants agree to these non-negotiable terms.